Thursday 18 June 2009

Letters

I love Jane Austen's novels, and one of the things I especially love is the brilliant ways in which Jane Austen uses letters. Darcy's letter to Elizabeth in Pride and Prejudice provides the turning point of the novel, the moment at which Lizzy starts to recognise she's got it all wrong and that things are not as she thinks they are.

Marianne's letter to Willoughby in Sense and Sensibility convinces Brandon, wrongly, that Marianne and Willoughby are engaged.

And who can forget Wentworth's letter to Anne in Persuasion? Not me, that's for sure! In fact I think it would qualify as "best letter in a book" for me.

So when I was writing Mr Darcy, Vampyre, I knew there would be letters, in fact it begins with a letter. You can read the exclusive extract on Austenprose, so if you haven't been there yet, head on over and read it!

As for Jane's letters to Lizzy . . . well, I'm not saying anything about them. Let's just say if you want to learn more, you'll have to read Mr Darcy, Vampyre!

2 comments:

  1. You're so right about the letters, I love them all.I went to Austenprose and I want to know what the rest of the letter says!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading letters in books. For some reason modern books never seem to have any. I'm looking forward to this one :-)

    ReplyDelete